Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Will I ever grow out of this??

So, people who know me well know that I have a bit of a tendency to have to figure things out the hard way. I've been like that since I was a child and nothing has really changed. You'd THINK I'd have figured out it's not the ideal way of doing things but no, I haven't.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I pull a tray out of the oven I sit it carefully on the bench using a tea towell to protect me from burning myself. I go do something else for like less than a minute and then I wander back to the tray and think "I wonder if that has cooled down yet?" and promptly burn myself poking it with my finger. No kidding...every time I cook. It reached a point where I'd swear in the kitchen and David would yell out "did you burn yourself checking how hot the tray was again?", and I'd be like "No I certainly did not!" while I ran my finger under the cold water tap.
If someone hands me a hot cup of tea and says "be careful that's really hot" I feel like they are challenging me. What you don't think I can handle it? Just watch me drink it I think to myself and burn my tongue. Then I proclaim "Ow that's really hot!" and look at them like, what did you do that for??
When I was 15 years old I actually put my finger directly onto a car cigarette lighter just to see how hot it was. For the record - it was VERY VERY hot. I still have impaired sensation in that finger tip.
Or like when I was in Melbourne with a girlfriend and we had all our luggage and asked some woman where a particular hotel was and asked "could we walk there?" and she said "no way, not with those bags, it's way too far" and I looked at my friend and said "whatever, we can SO walk it".....30 minutes later I found myself wondering if perhaps that woman had been correct.
Or in a recipe when it says "simmer over a gentle heat for 30 minutes" and I'll think....stuff that, if I just boil it rapidly for 5 minutes that'll save me 25 minutes!! And when it all turns out horribly wrong I wonder if I should have followed the directions more carefully?
Warnings on products or equipment I also tend to test. Like if a paint or something says on it "avoid direct contact with skin" I wonder why it says that? I find myself applying some directly to my skin to see what happens. Often it is hugely dissapointing and nothing happens and I think "ha I knew it". Or if something DOES happen I think "wow fancy that!".
Buttons that say "do not press" really really grate on my nerves. I have this overwhelming desire to press it to see what happens. I find it difficult to concentrate on anything other than that button.
So basically I have learnt nothing since I was a child who when told "don't touch that it's hot!" would glare at the person defiantly and slam my hand on the hot surface. I can't explain it, I'm not deliberatly that dense, it's just something I can't help but do.

1 comment:

  1. Well none of that was a surprise to me at all!! Imagine our fun having a child that challenged everything we tried to warn them about!! Lots of fun that was. One day you might work it all out hey......love you anyway and it certainly kept us on our toes...

    ReplyDelete